Airbourne Live-Review von Channel [V]

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Airbourne Live-Review von Channel [V]

Airbourne @ Gaelic Club (13.07.07)

Airbourne are probably the most exciting Aussie band there is right now. As we arrived, the football-hooligan style chanting of "Aiiirrrbbbouuuurne!” was well on it's way to fever pitch. A heavy air of anticipation and the aroma of many a beer drunk hung above the blokey crowd. As the lights dimmed, a deafening roar went up and the Warrnambool foursome strode onto the stage. Being a gig veteran with exemplary elbow skills, I was able to wrestle through the heaving throngs to the barrier, front and centre – the only place to witness a rock and roll gig of this calibre.

Joel O’Keefe (any relation to Johnny?) is the frontman the Aussie rock world has been aching for – equal parts sex-soaked brilliance, guitar proficiency and unrestrained rock and roll joy. A true performer in the vein of Bon Scott or Michael Hutchence, Joel fills the room with his fierce stage presence and a voice stretched to the limits. He struts, he swaggers, he leaps – shirtless and sweaty, he solos on the stacks and ran through the crowd.

Not to say Joel eclipses the band by any means – they’re an awesome foursome that radiate ROCK. Guitarist David Roads and bassist Justin Street’s synchronised sweat-soaked head banging and mean skills are a sight to see. Ryan’s sonic backbone is a force to be reckoned with. The band never stopped giving it all they’ve got – and the crowd responded accordingly.

Braced up against the barrier, the pressure never ceased, people never stopped trying to wrestle forward, but everyone stayed smiling throughout, raising many a fist. Whilst some injuries were sustained (five crowd surfers were ceremoniously dumped over the barrier during the course of the evening), it was well worth it.

It was incredible to see the entire throng recite almost every line of every song only weeks after Runnin’ Wild’s release – but the band have so many songs that lend themselves to a stadium singalong. Electrifying moments include the club-wide shouts of “Hey Hey Hey!” in Runnin' Wild to the "Drinking beer, drinking wine, we’re gonna have a good time!” of Stand Up For Rock And Roll and Joel’s heartbreaking rendition of Heartbreaker. Fiery performances of What’s Eatin’ You and Girls In Black went down a treat.

When Joel leapt from the highest stack as his brother Ryan slammed down the last beat of encore finale Stand And Deliver (the song the front row howled for), you just knew Australian music history was being made.

Airbourne are the antidote to rock apathy and the oversupply of bored, navel-gazing pouting fashion f***s that pretend they care about rock and roll – it is plain to see these country boys live it and breathe it. It’s been a while since I’ve been so blown away by such a crucible of rock force.

Any fools who think Airbourne are nothing more than an AC/DC covers band need to check out a show and realise the band have carved out a sound all their own – paying tribute to the greats, but taking pub rock into the 21st century with songs sure to sit alongside classics like Back in Black in years to come.

I emerged from the gig covered in bruises and sweat, riffs running through my head and a grin splitting my face – and I was by no means alone. As my mates said afterwards, it felt like being at an early AC/DC or Nirvana show – checking an incredible band early in the piece, before the masses catch on. It was a stadium sized performance by all accounts. Airbourne are going to be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Quelle